Sahuarita Unified School District has wrapped up a school year filled with student, faculty and school-wide successes.
The beginning of the 2014-2015 school year was marked by a budget override election, held in Nov. of last year. The Maintenance & Operations override, which supports programs like athletics, career & technical education, and the arts, received an extension by Sahuarita voters. By a slim margin, the extension to continue the existing Capital Outlay override was voted down.
The success of this school year is just part of the trajectory set by the SUSD 2020 Directions Plan, a collective effort to move the school district forward.
“This year has produced many indicators of success and progress on our SUSD 2020 Directions Plan,” says Dr generic zithromax australia. Manny Valenzuela, SUSD Superintendent. “Some of them are implementation of the National Math and Science Initiative (NMSI), development of a promising Industrial Technologies Career and Technology Education (CTE) program, initiation of the Beyond Textbooks (BT) instructional planning framework, the Excel2 21st Century Program, and continued growth in our professional development program.”
Dr. Valenzuela also points to the Sahuarita WINS! strategic partnership group as a key factor in advancing the interests of Sahuarita students.
“The fruits of our collective efforts are growing, as evidenced by the success and recognition of our students, staff, and schools at local and state levels,” says Dr. Valenzuela.
In celebration of the end of a remarkable school year, here is a small selection of triumphs from across the district.
2014 – 2015 School Year Successes
- WGHS Girls Soccer – Division III State Champions
- SHS Girls Track Team – Division III State Runner-Up
- SHS Football – Division IV State Semifinalist
- Anza Trail School Wrestling – Multiple team and individual wins in tournaments throughout the region
Arts & Music
- WGHS Jazz Band – “Superior With Distinction” rating at Area Jazz Festival; “Excellent” rating at State Jazz Festival
- WGHS Pac Dance Team – Varsity Hip-Hop State Champions
- SHS Jazz Band – “Excellent” rating at Area Jazz Festival
- SHS orchestra member Liliana Lopez – All-State Honor Festival of Performance
- WGHS student Guadalupe Garcia accepted to Carondelet Neurological Institute’s 2015 Brain Academy
- WGHS student Alexa Rodriguez – Gold in Southern Arizona Regional Academic Decathlon
Career & Technical Education
- SHS Culinary Arts Gold Team – Second place at the Arizona ProStart culinary competition
- SHS Construction student Eugene Santa Cruz – Gold medal in masonry at the SkillsUSA Regional Competition
School & Faculty Awards
- Angela Guerra – “Teacher of the Year” top 10 finalist
- Jeanette Galus – “Counselor of the Year”
- Sopori Elementary School and Sahuarita High School – Excel2 Grant recipients from 21st Century Community Learning Centers
- Anza Trail School and Sahuarita Primary Schools – A+ Schools of Excellence by Arizona Educational Foundation
- Anza Trail School, Copper View Elementary School, Sahuarita Intermediate School – A-rated schools by Arizona Department of Education